| 그럴 겁니다... 잊을 겁니다... |
The identity not many knows.
HuiShi♥![]() Penguin / 13121993 / Sagittarius / fhps / hyss / SP'BusinessAdmin / SJ~슈퍼주니어 / Rilakkuma-ed FaceBook Twitter Tumblr Those I hold dear.
![]() ![]()
You know you love me, too.
Layout is by Cia: (Blog | Acc)Icons/banners are from: Stopthetime / Reviviscent respectively. Links inspiration are from: Alissa. xoxo |
Goodbye, Mr Lee.
Sunday, March 29, 2015
On Monday 23 March morning Singaporeans received a bad news.Our founding father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew passed away. This great man who brought Singapore to where she is today, has left us. I didn't know I will be that affected by the news. Having read about this man's great actions that took Singapore from the third world in the 1950s to the first world city she is today, it brought tears and lots of emotions to me. As I passed by tall flats and walked into nice shopping malls these few days, appreciation and gratitude overwhelmed me. It dawned onto me how I should be appreciative of what I have today, instead of being complacent about the things I don't have. Back in the Primary school days I remembered how the name "Lee Kuan Yew" appeared in our social studies textbook. Then I didn't really understand much about the great things he had done. Perhaps to many young generations like us, having born in the modern state city is just something we never have considered an "otherwise". To many of us, we might not be able to relate how hard life was back in the 50s, or how poor our parents may have lived in the past. Ever since we understood, we have the strong transport system that can take us from the east to west of Singapore in an hour, the bilingual educational system that brought us much more benefits then we can ever imagined, the tall flats that roofed our heads without the worry of leaking roofs, enjoyed the stability and peace of living in this city without worrying about war and crimes, and enjoying the prosperity that this country brings in. Never have I imagined, how one day things might be different. Everything just seems to fall into place nicely ever since I'm old enough to understand. I told my mum yesterday. "Even though I did not lived through the 50s, lived through the change, I was equally touched by what he has given us." Without his constant worrying and efforts to make this a better place, will what we have today be possible? These few days I went on Facebook probably more often than I did in the entire last year. I read articles and links shared that talks about him, finding difficulty holding back tears. And I realized, just how shameful I am having lived off so much of his hard work without even fully realizing what he had given us. The textbooks were understating all he had done. What he and his fellow colleagues had given us over this five decades, are everything we enjoy today. Because he took away our worries for major issues like poverty, illiteracy and instability, today's Singaporeans can afford to complain about a breakdown in train, rigid educational system and expensive living standards. For the past week people flocked down to the Parliament House to pay him the last respect. Despite having to queue under the scorching sun, people did it willingly without a single complaint. Enterprises and volunteers offered umbrellas, water and snacks to those in the queue. Officers and army boys guided the queue and informed the public on the latest updates on waiting time. Rain or shine, day or night, many made it a point to show the last appreciation to this man who had dedicated his life to us. Being in the queue for only 15 minutes, I saw and felt that identity he worked his life for - the Singaporean identity. Regardless of race, age and religion everyone had the same admiration for our founding father. There was no need for words because a comforting smile from each other showed that we understood how each other felt. I wished I could make it till the end of the queue, but I didn't. All I could manage was walked to opposite Parliament House and gave my most sincere bows. After heading to the Jurong condolences site, I was once again stirred emotionally. I presented my rose after making three bows to the picture, but I wished I could have done more. Yet nothing that we ever could do, can compare to what he had done for us. At the end of the day, we saw one united Singapore. Yes this is what he have left us. The admiration we have of him, and the subconscious yet strong Singapore identity. I have heard how other nationalities have defended their countries whenever others spoke ill of it. After today, I'm confident Singaporeans has that too. We may not show it, but we love our nation. And we love our dear founding father who made this a country we are proud for. A quote from the speech I heard during the memorial in school, "Fifty years ago you wept for us, fifty years later Singapore weeps for you" The contribution you have made gone far beyond what essays could describe. Today Singapore sent you off. People lined the streets of Singapore holding umbrella in one hand, state flag in the other. As the cortege passed through, people called out your name. The sky seems to understand how we felt, and cried with us. We wish you'll be in a better place, holding your dear wife's hands. I hope you'll be smiling at us wherever you are, watching over us and feeling assured that the future generations will defend this great nation you have built from scratch. Thank you Sir, for your unconditional love for each Singapore son and daughter. There may be times when certain policies are not well-accepted, but we know you have our best interests at heart. For sticking out no matter how hard times are and taking us through this extraordinary transformation from a swampland to today's metropolis, we can't thank you enough. This route isn't easy, yet you took it upon yourself for us. You could've chose an easier way out, but you didn't. Thank you Sir, thank you. We love you, and you will continue to live in our hearts forever. 永别了,我们的国父。 |
Goodbye.
Gracia
Kexin
Mabel
Cyrus
Joey
Kaili
Meixuan
Najmah
Qwerty
Shugee
Siewying
Private/dead blogs are strike-through. |