그럴 겁니다... 잊을 겁니다...




The identity not many knows.
HuiShi♥
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Penguin / 13121993 / Sagittarius / fhps / hyss / SP'BusinessAdmin / SJ~슈퍼주니어 / Rilakkuma-ed

FaceBook Twitter Tumblr

Those I hold dear.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You know you love me, too.
Layout is by Cia: (Blog | Acc)
Icons/banners are from: Stopthetime / Reviviscent respectively.
Links inspiration are from: Alissa. xoxo
KOREA!
Tuesday, August 12, 2014

At last! Korea blog post!

Finally I moving my lazy ass to start on this blog post that I've procrastinated for so long - Korea summer studies.

Shortly 2 weeks after I came back from Sichuan trip I went on another month's trip to Korea for summer studies at their local Hanyang university. Being accustomed to Singapore's study system for the past 20 years, an overseas experience is indeed an eye-opener. Won't say there is much difference between the style of teaching between Singapore and Korea, but I definitely like the campus in Hanyang much more than the local ones.

To summarize the whole one month (cos there's just simply too much to mention I think I will take forever~), I shall just write about the 10 highlights/best things in this 31 days. So here goes the list:

1, School

Of course the first and foremost reason why I went to Korea. Cleared 2 modules which all seniors would definitely recommend to do so overseas - Strat mag & comm funds 2.

Honestly speaking clearing mods on exchange is really a breeze. Despite allocating more time for playing rather than studying, all of us managed to pass these modules with pretty good grades. In addition since it's an auto S/U thing, it's really hard not to be tempted to spend more time having fun during this precious 31 days.

One thing I'm very thankful for are the 2 other groupmates I have in my strat mag team. Having to work with international students isn't really as memorable as I wanted it to be. Probably because of culture differences (I don't know what else it could be) we found ourselves divided into the "dedicated" and "bo chap" groups. Thank god I got the two other ninjas who fought on with me during the intense third week of school to complete the project. Without them I think I would probably give up along the way.

strat mgmt team!

IMG_5569

IMG_5559

IMG_5562

IMG_5600

2. Busan

Never regretted going on this short vacation away from Seoul during our second weekend in Korea. Even though we had to scrimp later on because of this trip, it was still a right decision to go ahead with it. Arranged this last-minute trip with only one of the friends plus another Belgium friend we made in hanyang. Saw another part of Korea which is not as bustling and modernised as Seoul, but still beautiful in its own way.

Being the second biggest city in Korea, it offers the same beautiful sights and sceneries in its special way. Best part is it's probably less expensive living here than Seoul, and the people are even more friendly than those you find in Seoul (when we find the people in Seoul already quite welcoming)!

We stayed in Guesthouse 710 in Haeundae during the 2d1n there. The hosts were so welcoming and the place is just so clean, nice and comfy! Met the owner’s son, Minseol, and he was excitedly running around us! The night we arrived we were invited to this beer "welcome party" organised by the hosts. Everyone staying in the guesthouse came together on the upper floors around the dining table and everyone had supper together. Tried the chicken ass, fried chicken (specially marinated with turmeric spice) and other crackers alongside with beer and soft drinks. Then we talked late into the night with the locals there who came to busan for various reasons (sightseeing, backpacking, work, holidays, etc). It was really a good interaction with them and that helped us to see more of what Korea offers, something we couldn't have explored finished with that limited time of ours.

IMG_5113

IMG_5117

IMG_5121

IMG_5127

IMG_5135

IMG_5136

IMG_5130

IMG_5138

During that 2 days we did lots of sightseeing (taejongdae resort park), walked our feets sore, enjoyed lots of sea breeze (gwananri beach, haeundae beach), did our fair bit of shopping (nampo underground shopping) and of course, tried moving octopus (jalgalchi market)! Tried the freshest Jjampong noodles endowed with lots of fresh seafoods within half a bowl after our tiring taejongdae adventure. Must really say, busan is really the place for seafood lovers.

IMG_4998

IMG_5012

IMG_5073

IMG_4758

IMG_4765

Took the korail KTX to and fro busan from Seoul station and it was really a comfy 2-hr ride that could otherwise take up to 6 hours! So lucky we managed to get these seats despite the last-minute arrangements.

IMG_5286

IMG_5289

3. Shopping

Needless to say, our 31 days would be in vain if we don't do crazy shopping in Korea. Spent up nearly one-third of our assets by the end of our first week there! In the end we had to budget our spending starting the second week onwards. But it's still a waste not to do shopping over there. Cosmetics, clothes, bags, skincare products are the things we (and everyone) goes gaga over.

Among the various shopping places in Seoul, Edae (Ewhwa Women's University) and Express bus terminal are the best places to get cheap clothing. Myeongdong of course cannot be left out for the vast number of Korea cosmetics brands. First time there I was really amazed how each and every corner you never fail to find nature republic, etude house, faceshop, innisfree, saem, clio, skinfood, missha, toocoolforschool and many other brands.

IMG_3977

IMG_3929

Then there is also dongdaemun, like the platinum mall in bkk (just smaller) with clothes as well~

IMG_3938

IMG_3942

IMG_3943

4. Fried chicken

One of the famous thing Korea is for. Fried chicken with beer is definitely good for anytime as snacks, dinners or late night suppers. Tried the different franchises in Seoul - Chicken Mania, Kyochon and Kanghodong. Now I know why their locals eat burgers in KFC – reason simply being because the fried chicken they offer in chicken shops are incomparable.

IMG_4785

IMG_4787

IMG_4794

IMG_4880

IMG_4855

IMG_4876

IMG_4861

Loved how their fried chicken stay crispy till the last piece and how it is fried, but never too oily. First fried chicken at Chicken Mania shared with huiwen and I fell in love with their fried chicken. We ordered the half-spiced and half-fried menu and polished off everything all by ourselves. A pity we didn't managed to eat the full olive-fried version on our last night there (because the whole emart building was closed). Nonetheless we made it up for Kanghodong's fried chicken which was still pretty good!

IMG_5471

IMG_5477

IMG_5481

IMG_6109

IMG_6113

IMG_6114

5. Self-made dinners

Must really take the chance to properly commend ourselves on how creative we get during this one month. As people always quote, desperate situations calls for desperate measures. Cooking becomes almost impossible overseas but we made it happen.

IMG_4714

IMG_4724

On days when we had to save, we cooked noodles and even dinner in that small apartment we lived in. First time I learnt noodle can be cooked by soaking in boiling water apart from boiling in pots! Then we also replaced the conventional microwave with boiling water to heat up our instant rice, instant curries, meatballs, frozen sausages and crabsticks. Indeed this one month had taught me lots of life hacks.

IMG_5550

IMG_5552

IMG_5558

6. Apgujeong

How can I not go on a kpop fan hunt if I'm already in korea?! Even though I was so much over kpop as when I first started liking sj, I admit the trip did bring back lots of precious memories and sparked that hidden love again.

HAHAHAS going to the cafe by leeteuk, sungmin and kyuhyun's mums were the best part of the whole adventure because the cafe is really filled with all their merchandise and pictures! From cushion covers to signatures on the wall, merchandises on the display shelves and even music played in the restaurant, IT'S ALL SUPER JUNIOR. One corner was even dedicated to my favourite leader for awaiting his comeback from army (29 jul, which is like a few days later). Feels so blessed sitting inside… *sheepish smile*

IMG_5807

IMG_5812

IMG_5820

IMG_5825

IMG_5828

IMG_5829

IMG_5830

IMG_5833

IMG_5844

Tasted the bubble tea shop frequented by kpop artistes in one of the streets, Cofioca. Was shocked at how the autographs were plastered over the whole walls of the shop lols! Couldn't communicate much so I jus had a taro bubble milk tea recommended by Tiffany~ Boy that milk tea costed me almost a meal lols (6000W)! But still, it was worth the experience :P

IMG_5788

IMG_5789

IMG_5791

IMG_5798

Walked under the scorching sun in search of the agencies and spotted a small crowd outside SMEnt. Heard the fans waiting for EXO members and was really impressed by their determination. Then we walked a little further and spotted FNCEnt. Really not a bad building! A pity we couldn't tang the hot sun anymore so we gave up our search for JYP's. Nonetheless I'll say, my fangirl adventure "A SUCCESS"!

IMG_5848

IMG_5851

IMG_5854

IMG_5875

7. Siloam Jjimjilbang

I finally tried the signature sheep head towel rolling and sauna eggs!

IMG_5671

IMG_5666

Hahahas an impromptu to the jjimjilbang on one of the Tuesdays after class because we had no lessons on Wednesdays. Went to the recommended Siloam sauna near Seoul Station and it was a really a 'eye-opener'. Many people have said before it's common to see naked people walking around but when you really see one, it's hard to react. Wanted to look like I'm not affected but its hard to pretend hahahas. Couldn't look into their faces because it would be awkward but looking at their body is worse. It's not even an option to look elsewhere cos everywhere are naked people walking around.

IMG_5620

IMG_5683

IMG_5651

IMG_5675

We went to experience the fermentation rooms and there are so much different versions! Jade, Salt, brown mud, ice, oxygen, charcoal... Different rooms had got different treatment properties. I personally prefer the charcoal room as it is the most cooling. It's also the room which we spent having a good sleep in! Tried staying in the 65 degree jade fermentation room to sweat it out and it was such a shiok time. The 85 degrees fermentation room was insane and only managed to stay in there for a minute. It's so steaming inside its hard to even breathe lols! Damn impressed when an uncle went in and did pushups inside. Applause for him.

IMG_5642

IMG_5643

IMG_5647

Found it a pity I didn't try the hot spring but oh well, I can't bring myself to let the ahjummas see my body anyways~ :P

8. Patbingsoo

The must-have summer dessert! Tried various flavours like mango milk, red bean, choco ice, oreo and even the famous lemon cheesecake near wangsimni. Personally prefer the red bean, mango and cheesecake cos they are more flavourful and 'original' (red bean).

IMG_4462

IMG_4469

Honestly it tastes like the shaved ice desserts we have in Singapore, but just that their ice are finer and milk flavoured (nicer). Liked the service of the one at The Snow cos they offered free toppings hahahas so it's more worth the price~ We also talked about how these stores are gonna operate in the winter seasons as there are just simply so much stalls selling patbingsoos! Every street or corner you turn, you see one. Probably they might switch to selling hot bingsoos???

IMG_5413

IMG_5932

9. Foods

The best part of the trip, I can't deny. Loved korean cuisine ever since I started fangirl-ing few years back and can't have enough of their food. Was having craves for tteokbokki even up till the week before I left for korea! (ok I know everyone will say I'm crazy because I can have them everyday when I'm there)

One of my few favourites - sundubu jjigae (순두부찌개), tofu stew we ate on the second day in Myeongdong. Generous servings of clams (a pity I don't eat them) and very very very (I'm serious) tasty soup.

IMG_3993

IMG_3987

Then there's Jjamppong (짬뽕), spicy seafood noodles I ate in busan. Fresh seafoods in the hot spicy soup (another pity I don't take clams ><) and chewy noodles totally made an unforgettable impression in us! We had it in a restaurant outside taejongdae park in busan, one of the rare restaurants we see queues.Especially after a tiring walk, it was totally shiok having the noodle.

IMG_5077

IMG_5072

Tteokbokki (떡볶이), spicy rice cakes. Ok I know I don't need to describe this further. Seriously I think I will never get sick of this no matter how much I have it. The one in Myeongdong by the streets is not as nice, but those found in the road stalls are really not bad. We even found this common snack in the supermarkets' eating corners and we ate this with odeng (오뎅), fishcake skewers. Was really anticipating that until I tried it and found it really nothing special. :( I think I prefer our chewy fishcakes after all~ Tried the cheese rabokki (라볶이) near our apartment in the last week. It's a combi of rice cakes, ramen and odeng. Found it so-so prolly due to my dislike for odeng~

IMG_4334

IMG_4338

IMG_4754

IMG_4431

IMG_5595

Don't laugh at me but I didn't know Budae Jjigae (부대찌개), army stew, is an authentic Korean food. When I first had it in Seoul Yummy I thought it was some fusion dish changed to suit global tastebuds. When we had it near our school in Wangsimni area, I fell in love with it even more. Prolly because a lot of us shared it, it makes the thing tasted even nicer. Even though its only processed foods inside, never doubt the power of it, cos it's very addictive. Only difference I spotted is the ddeok (rice cakes) inside the pot, cos it looks different from the one in Seoul Yummy!

IMG_5581

IMG_5582

IMG_5589

IMG_6049

IMG_6044

IMG_6047

And by chances we tried Miss Lee Cafe's Doshirak (도시락), bentos, when we were shopping in Insadong. Probably more of the interior that we loved, the food served were just simple fares in metal lunchboxes. The fun part is we shook the boxes to mix everything together and watched bubble performances out the window while having dinner. Nice shop owner even gave us complimentary popping candies even though we did not win anything from the sticky tape lucky draw!

IMG_5742

IMG_5743

IMG_5749

IMG_5753

IMG_5759

IMG_5763

There were just so many other awesome foods that I couldn't finish listing in one blog post (school lunches, churos, hotteok, melona, tuna kimbap, paris baguette, herb cup chicken) Pictures shall do the talking!

IMG_3971

IMG_4024

IMG_4392

IMG_4589

IMG_4706

IMG_4886

IMG_6024

IMG_6142

IMG_5708

IMG_6085

IMG_6116

10. Culture

Can’t think of a better word to summarise my encounters in this one month. One thing I like about Korea is its laid back relaxing culture (Probably relaxing to us since we’re like on a holiday). Pace feels slower over there and I tend to appreciate more of the everyday things we see over there. It’s good to always see shops wherever we are, being able to just pop into any convenient store wherever we are to get something.

IMG_4275

IMG_4664

Also liked how there are so many street performers with so much talent in them. Some of them have really good singing abilities they are easily comparable to those kpop idols. On the streets and everywhere it’s easy to spot good-looking people I sometimes wonder if they are celebrities in disguise!

IMG_4276

Apart from the practice of pushing others to get through, I’ll say their people are more friendly and welcoming than Singaporeans. On the first day there so many people in the area we lived at offered to help us in directions when they saw us lugging the heavy luggage. During the one month our host tommy also assisted us so much with whatever requests we have. In all it has been a very pleasant trip!

To end off, video of my first week in korea! Pardon the rough work cos I just know the basics of movie maker! (It took me at least 8 hrs though! :/)

 

p.s/ I'll try and complete the other videos planned and upload them soon! (Soon... I hope? :P)




Goodbye.
Gracia Kexin Mabel Cyrus Joey Kaili Meixuan Najmah Qwerty Shugee Siewying

Private/dead blogs are strike-through.